Can you be trusted?
>> 12 September 2010
When you meet and like someone, do you ever think about her past? Do you ever wonder if she thinks about yours? I've met some wonderful, outgoing, loving ladies and was shocked to learn that some had a heart-breakingly horrible childhood, or an abusive adult relationship, or a battle with drugs, or any number of surprising experiences.
For several reasons, I share my past with very few. (No, I never did drugs; never even touched marijuana, though I grew up in the 60's and had many friends who laughed at me for being so 'uncool'.) So, why the big 'secret'? Of the VERY few people I have trusted enough to talk with about my childhood, some have been warmly sympathetic. A couple others have stopped having anything to do with me, overtly avoiding me after I offered the smallest of details.. As if I had any control over the events.
If someone trusts you enough to open up her heart to you, do you deserve that trust? Will she regret it? The strongest heart is damaged when trust is abused. An already fragile soul is deeply wounded. Many people don't realize what an honour it is to be offered the trust of a guarded heart.
If you found out a friend had 'a past', how would you react? Would you look at her differently? Would it diminish your affection for her? Would you still be her friend?
Are you trustworthy?








2 comments:
First I have to say that I too am one of the few that I know that never did any kind of drugs. I mean seriously, do you even think I need them? LOL!
But I think every one has a "past" but that's just what it is, the past. I tend to try and leave it there. If it can help someone in some way, I share. If not, I leave it be unless asked.
I do think it's wrong for someone to change their outlook about you based on that because it's not like you are that person now.
I do believe that some friendships are for seasons and God has a way of weeding out those that He sees may be damaging in the future. And then there are friendships that last forever and no matter what your past, they love you any way!
BIG GIANT HUGS TO YOU MY FRIEND!
Kim
When I meet someone who shares her story or testimony with me, I always think of the pain she went through that changed her and made her the woman she is today. Like the old saying goes, life can make you bitter or better. We wear the results on our faces and in our attitudes! What I find hard to do is continue reaching out when the friend with the past thinks she is just too unlovable and puts up that wall.
Post a Comment