Friday Funnies

>> 12 September 2008


nota bene: For the uninitiated, this 'Sophie story' actually happened on the last day of July, shortly after we moved to this part of Flarda. HRH is Duller (DH) and TYP is DS.



...We all pile in the truck to go look at 2 houses, seeing as how the people who SAID they would call us Wed/Thurs to talk about leasing-to-own their place on 17 acres never called, and bop merrily along in the nice actually-working a/c. First house was a bomb, though the property was kinda cool, second house was pretty nice and REAL nice property. We walk all over that 7.4 acres, sweating our brains out! Then we hop back in the truck and decide to keep on going down the road to see what the area is like. HRH, being in desperate need of water at this point, is in search of a convenience store. TYP informs us that, by now, we are closer to GA than the nearest FL burg... this has absolutely nothing to do, understand, with the fact that he has been bugging me for weeks to go to GA... so we head for the state line, happy in our ol' truuuuuuck, well-cooled by the nicely refurbished (he had to take it back this morning to get them to re-do whatever they didn't do right yesterday) a/c. By now, we're all getting hungry, so we pull in at the Hardee's in Podunkville. As we sit there, remarking on the consistent FAST (NOT!) service we always enjoy at Hardee's (I had been inside and availed myself of the facilities and was back in the truck before we even got to order), HRH noticed they had thoughtfully provided a canopy over the drive-thru window so one wouldn't get wet in case of a... a.... oh, what do they call those things... oh yeah... rainy day. Finally, one car pulls away, leaving only one in front of us. HRH glances at the temp gauge and remarks that it is higher than usual. Suddenly...***POW***!!!!!!!!!!

HRH and I exchange worried (read frantic) looks... "WHAT WAS *THAT*?" I steel myself and look out across the hood... we're smmmmmmmmmmmokin'! RUHROH! I'm frantically trying to get HRH to understand he CAN'T BACK UP, THERE'S SOMEONE BEHIND US! TURN IT OFF! Hopefully, we won't have to push the steenkin' thing out of the drive-thru. Hmmmm... if we can just get across the parking lot to a space... where in the world are we gonna get this thing worked on in GA on a Saturday afternoon??? The car in front of us finally pulls out and HRH starts the engine... WHEEEEWWWWWW!!!! The temp is OK.

Just tell the lady we'll come in for the food, park the truck and let's eat, THEN figger out what to do. We pull up to the window and come face to... er... back of head with the world's master of ignore-ance... "Excuse, me, Miss..." SHE WALKED AWAY! She could at LEAST give us our steenkin' drinks! Doesn't she know it's 300° out here??? OK, OK, the temp isn't climbing... we're OK. After absolute EONS (OK, 5 minutes, at least) she comes back. By now, we've determined we can safely retrieve our food here, then HRH can hop out and peek under the hood while TYP and I dine in the sweat lodge. (Oh, did I mention the passenger-side window doesn't work?!)

WHOA! Wouldja look at that?! The freon hose burst! We got freon all over under here! Well, PTL we can drive it home... WE JUST HAVE NO A/C!!!!!

So, we head for home... HRH's burger is coming apart and gunk is all over his hands, so he asks me to take it and "re-arrange" it for him. Do I LOOK like a burger decorator?! It's hopeless, and now it's all over me, too, thankyaveramuch.

OK, so now we're filthy from tromping through the woods, sweating like a buncha pigs (I know, pigs don't sweat, so sue me), the heat index is like 500°, we have a nice mayonnaise glaze... I can't help but notice, it feels like the backs of my eyelids are slow-cooking my eyeballs... does life get any better than this?!

As we roll through Tallahassee, the thermometers there hit 100°. (At 5PM, the heat index in T___ was 113°! And, BTW, I have no idea if this is normal, as this is our first summer up here. Hopefully NOT!) The city fathers must've known we were coming, coz they thoughtfully had all the traffic lights synchronized so we wouldn't miss the thrill of being able to take a few moments at each and every RED one to enjoy the sights.

TYP and I both headed straight for the showers the minute we walked in the door. Then he vegged here for a while and I crawled into bed with the A/C vents aimed right on me. AAAAaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Somehow, I don't think I'm gonna be baking those taters tonight, after all.

One good thing has come out of this little episode. I have finally found something good about Daytona.. the ocean breeze! 8-]

-SteamyMae




Keep laughing. Find more Friday Funnies here.

2 comments:

Kathy C. 12 September, 2008 10:30  

Oh too funny! :) Um, sorry to say, but I have lived in central FL for 15 years now and it seems to me that it is getting hotter and hotter EACH summer. I could be wrong, but um, that's what it feels like. :)

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart 12 September, 2008 15:32  

Oh that was funny,( from the comfort of my office chair and a/c'd house) lol. Welcome to Florida my friend. Let's get together and have some COFFEE! LOL.

About Me

My photo
I love JESUS! I'm a 7th-generation Florida native, dyed-in-the-wool Southron belle. I just recently dusted off my genealogy notes and, thanks to a long-lost relative, nearly doubled the details. We started home schooling when only 'outlaws' did it and still enjoy a daily quest for knowledge. These days, the family spends a lot of time birding, butterflying, spending as much time in 'the woods' as possible while they're still here.
Powered By Blogger

Followers

    © Shabach the Rock. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP